Monday, May 16, 2011

Persuasion by Jane Austen

After reading Wuthering Heights, I must admit that Jane Austen's novel seemed rather dull. So at the start of the book I felt bored and wondered why nobody was being kidnapped or murdered. Then I realized what a monster Wuthering Heights had turned me into!! After the first few chapters of Persuasion, I changed my mind about it and I truly enjoyed the story! The book is simple and ordinary, but happy and sweet-- a breath of fresh air after Emily Bronte's disturbing tale. I loved the romance between Anne and dear Frederick!
But one thing I don't understand: I have always been imaging Anne Elliot as rather ugly and slightly oldish. Well, that is a big lie. She is only 28 (or was it 26?) and is frequently described as beautiful!
Oh wait, I remember: a long, long time ago I watched a movie version of Persuasion and the girl who played Anne was just not attractive and perhaps that is what has marred my idea of her ever since. Anyways, she is really lovely.
So, I give Jane Austen two thumbs up! I love love love the sweet romance of Persuasion!
I will have to read her other books!

1 comment:

  1. Sars, I am so glad that you liked Persuasion! I loved it. That and Emma were my two favorite Jane Austen's.

    ReplyDelete