Monday, October 18, 2010

St. Augustine: Confessions

Mom and I had the pleasure of reading excerpts from a translation of St. Augustine's Confessions. Though, this book is not typically considered European literature, mom still wanted us to read it because of its classic nature.
After reading "Beowulf," St. Augustine's prose seemed flowery and embellished. But not in a bad way. I like his writing style.
Something interesting to me was how modern his life seemed. Maybe modern isn't the correct word. By modern I mean he seems like he could have the same experience living today. Reading his confessions, I felt as though people today could really relate to his life.
Augustine talks about how he was so cool because he was smart and intellectual, probably wealthy, and he got a lot of ladies.
His life would make an interesting film.
Read his confessions. You won't regret it!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Ugh I just tried to post a long comment but something went wrong! I'm trying to repost =(

    ReplyDelete